Member Organizations A-F
Action Aid The Gambia
NAME: Action Aid The Gambia. AATG
NGO NUMBER: 2
CONTACT PERSON: Malamin O Sonko, Country Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: MDI Road, Kanifing South
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 725, Banjul
TELEPHONE: 392244, 392004, 392420,
HEADQUARTERS: Hamlyn House, Archway, London, N19 5PG, England
INITIAL OPERATION IN COUNTRY: 1979
AREAS OF INTERVENTION: Agro-forestry, Fuel saving stove construction, Water resources, Skill training, Construction of seed stores, Formal education, Non-formal education, Credit and savings, Horticulture, Crop production, Bee keeping, Health care, Environmental education, Sanitation, Family planning, Livestock, Institution building
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Lower River, Central River Division (north & south)
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. Basic education and skills training; increased access to education for children and adults; skill training and development for men and women.
2. Increase food production and improve access to marketing and sustainable agro-credit delivery services. Improved conservation of environment
3. Water: Increase access to clean drinking water
4. Income-generation: Increase incomes for rural house-holds through village initiated and village managed small scale enterprises
5. Establish Primary Health Care in villages; Family planning
6. Institution building: development of community based organisations and building their capacities to manage their own development
7. Environment: conservation and restoration of the Natural Resource Base.
Association of Baptists for World Evangelism
NAME: Association of Baptists for World Evangelism, ABWE
NGO NUMBER: 23
CONTACT PERSON: Mark A. Neidig, Interim Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: Kotu (office); Ndungu Kebbeh, Lower Niumi, NBD.
ADDRESS, MAILING: P 0 Box 154, Banjul
HEADQUARTERS: P 0 Box 8585, Harrisburg, PA 17105, USA
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: l982
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Health care, Non-formal education, Nursery school
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: North Bank Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To train and assist Gambians in attaining self-sufficiency in areas of expressed need in physical educational and spiritual needs
Age Care Association
NAME: Age Care Association, ACA
NGO NUMBER: 105
CONTACT PERSON: M L Conteh, Executive Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: New Jeshwang
ADDRESS, MAILING: P 0 Box 2726, Serrekunda
AFFILIATED TO: St. James' Walk, London ECI R OBE, England
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1992
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Assistance to old people
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Kombo St. Mary
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: ACA is a network of independent organisations working to improve the standard of living for poor elderly people in the Gambia. ACA aims at providing shelter, food, clothing and medical facilities to the old.
Association of Farmers, Educators and Traders
NAME: Association of Farmers, Educators and Traders, AFET
NGO NUMBER: 57
CONTACT PERSON: Dodou Darbo, Secretary General
ADDRESS, VISITING: Brikama (next to Area Council)
ADDRESS, MAILING: PMB 237 Serrekunda
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY : 1988
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Agro-forestry, Beekeeping, Horticulture, Skills training, Credit and savings
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Western Division, Lower River Division, North Bank Division, Central River Division-South, Upper River Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To create firm and effective cooperation amongst grassroots farmer organisations in the rural areas
2.To assist in alleviating the existing difficulties faced by the rural villagers in the production for self-sufficiency
Association of Gambian Entrepreneurs
NAME: Association of Gambian Entrepreneurs, AGE
NGO NUMBER: 45
CONTACT PERSON: Amira Ghanim Jagne, Project Manager
ADDRESS, MAILING: P 0 Box 200, Banjul
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1987
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Credit and savings, Skills training, Enterprise development, Non-formal education
ADMINISTRTIVE AREA: Banjul, Kombo St. Mary, Western Division, North Bank Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES:1. Credit and savings mobilization
2. To train entrepreneurs in business management through seminars, workshops and study tours
3. To provide advisory and consultancy services to members
4. To promote business ventures with national and international investors
5. To disseminate information to the members through the publication of a business magazine and directory.
Association for Intervention, Cooperation and Development
NAME: Association for Intervention, Cooperation and Development, AICOS
NGO NUMBER: 110
CONTACT PERSON Dr. Guiseppe Chio, Country Representative
ADDRESS, VISITING: 1. Bolong Road, Serrekunda
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 1016 Banjul
HEADQUARTERS: AICOS, Via M. Oscuri 5, Milano. Italy
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1992
AREA OF INTERVENTION Health care
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Central River Division-North. Central River Division-South. Upper River Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: To sustain and expand the primary health system in the Eastern region of the Gambia.
Anglican Mission Development Ministries
NAME: Anglican Mission Development Ministries, AMDM
NGO NUMBER: 81
CONTACT PERSON: The Rt. Rev. S. Tilewa Johnson, Executive Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: Bishop's Court, Banjul
ADDRESS, MAILING: P0 Box 51. Banjul
TELEPHONE: 227405. 225966
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: l855
AREA OF INTERVENTION: :Non-formal education, Nursery schools. Skills training, Crop production, Livestock, Horticulture, Beekeeping. Relief programmes for refugees and emergency preparedness
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Banjul, Kombo St. Mary. Western Division, North Bank Division, Upper River Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. Based on the understanding that development needs to recognise that poverty is many-faceted and includes factors such as of assets, vulnerability, powerlessness, and physical weakness. We as a Church Community are committed to participating in eliminating, or at least arresting, this situation in terms of making available access to resources, power, assets and knowledge as the means to our goals
Agency for Personal Services Overseas
NAME: Agency for Personal Services Overseas, APSO
NGO NUMBER: 99
CONTACT PERSON: Patricia Wall, Regional Field, Director West Africa
ADDRESS, VISITING: 29 Garba Jahumba Road (New Town Road), Bakau
ADDRESS, MAILING: P0 Box 2164, Serrekunda
HEADQUARTERS: APSO, 30 Fitzwilliam Square.
Dublin 2, Ireland
INITIAL OPFRATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1976
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Formal education, Non-formal education, Skills training, Environment, Enterprise Development, Institution Development, Institution building, Health care, Family planning, Nutrition, Livestock, Horticulture, Agro-forestry, Sanitation, Research and documentation of Gambian art and culture, Environmental Education, population policy, Divisional planning/Town planning.
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Nationwide
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: To contribute to sustainable improvement in the living conditions of poor communities in developing countries by enabling skilled Irish people to transfer and share skills and knowledge contribute to a process of development, peace and justice.
Baptist Mission The Gambia
NAME: Baptist Mission The Gambia, BMTG
NGO NUMBER: 14
CONTACT PERSON: Steve Seaberry. Administrator
ADDRESS, VISITING: MDI Road, Kanifing
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 2376, Serrekunda
HEADQUARTERS: 3806 Monument Ave., PO Box 6767, Richmond, Virginia 23230, USA
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1982
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Sanitation, Dental Care, Agro-forestry, Community Centre with Non-formal education and Arts and Craft.
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: North Bank Division, Kombo St. Mary
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To meet rural human needs off the people of the Gambia so that they can live longer, healthier and more happily and so that they can come in contact with love of God and as expressed through Jesus Christ.
2. Survey existing development projects to gain perspective, identify gaps and determine possible locations for new work and new types of ministry.
3. Sponsor projects to meet human needs but make every effort already existing.
Caritas The Gambia
NAME: Caritas The Gambia
NGO NUMBER: 18
CONTACT PERSON: John Paul Njie, Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: 1. Kairaba Avenue. Kanifing
ADDRESS, MAILING: P. O. Box 2366, Serrekunda
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN CONTRY: 1977
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Horticulture, Water resources, Sanitation, Non-formal education, skills training, Arts and Crafts, Health care and education, Nutrition, Enterprise development.
BENEFICIARIES: Women and other groups
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Nationwide
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To come to the aid of the people of The Gambia as a sign of the Catholic Church's concern and commitment to their development.
2. To improve the living conditions of the rural population by providing it with good water for domestic use, animal husbandry and gardening, thus creating employment possibilities for them.
3. To improve the food situation and daily regime of the rural population and also provide them with some family income
4. To stimulate community organization and cooperation through an animation program
Christian Children's Fund
NAME: Christian Children's Fund, CCF
NGO NUMBER: 4
CONTACT PERSON: Pa Louis Gomez, National
ADDRESS, VISITING: Kairaba Avenue. Kanifing
ADRESS, MAILING PMB: 2. Banjul
TELEPHONE: 391450, 392693
HEADQUARTERS: 2821 Emerywood Parkway, PO Box 26484, Richmond, Virginia 23261-6484
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1984
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Formal education, Nursery schools, School construction Sponsorship, community development, Health care, Nutrition, Recreation, Water resources, Small enterprise development, Loan schemes. skills training of the parents in horticulture, crop production and livestock, Income generation, Fisheries development.
ADMINSITRATIVE AREA: : Western division, Central River Division-South
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To provide assistance to needy children and their families.
2. To promote improvement in the living standards and environment of children and their families.
3. To develop the capacity of children and their families to become fully responsible of their own lives and contribute to their community and nation.
Catholic Relief Services, The Gambia
NAME: Catholic Relief Services, The Gambia. CRS, The Gambia
NGO NUMBER: 1
CONTACT PERSON: Stephen Hilbert Country director
ADDRESS, VISITING: Marina Parade, Banjul
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 568, Banjul
TELEPHONE: 227120, 227121
HEADQUARTERS: 209 West Fayette St., Baltimore.
Maryland 21201, USA
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1964
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Institution building, Relief and general welfare programs, forestry, crop production, livestock, horticulture, mother and children nutrition, food processing, health care, non-formal education, skills and credit and savings, construction of seed stores and cereal banks.
MISSION STATEMENT: CRS' mission is to alleviate poverty and human suffering through assistance to the poorest of the poor on the basis of need, not creed, race or nationality.
COUNTRY STRATEGY: Institution building
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Nationwide
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To provide technical assistance for the implementation and management of agro-enterprises
2. To encourage and promote sound management of the natural resource base
3. To increase the opportunities, available to farmers to move beyond the subsistence level
4. To provide technical assistance in support of implementing projects which seek to improve the health status of Gambians
5. To support and facilitate training activities necessary to develop the institutional capacity of CRS counterparts (indigenous NGOs)
6. To provide core cost support to counterparts and assist them in developing skills to diversify funding sources to ensure then institutional sustainability
7. To integrate credit and saving promotion with other CRS/The Gambia activities (e.g. SGAS) where appropriate.
Child Youth Support and Rural Development Agency
NAME: Child Youth Support and Rural Development Agency, CYSARDA
NGO NUMBER: 106
CONTACT PERSON: Farimang B T A Sowe, Executive Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: 39 Samori Touray Drive, Bundung
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 40, Banjul/PO Box 2747. Banjul
TELEPHONE: Head Office - 390766/372507 Field office - Basse 668881
FAX: Head Office - 393274, att. CYSARDA
Field Office - Basse 668004
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY:.1991
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Nursery schools, Primary school, sponsorship, Non-forma; education, Skills training for children and youths, Crop production, Horticulture, Erosion control, Credit and savings.
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: : Upper River Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: Exclusive focus on child/youth support and rural development in all tis facets:
1. basic education and skills training for children and skills training for women and men.
2. Improvement of health and environment condition and family planning.
3. horticultural development and adoption of improved farming techniques.
4. Evolving a sound and coherent natural resources management program to arrest soil degradation and deforestation and to implement ecological sound intervention systems within the sustainable capacity of the rural communities themselves.
Freedom From Hunger Campaign
NAME: Freedom From Hunger Campaign
NGO NUMBER: 17
CONTACT PERSON: N S Z Njie. Secretary General
ADDRESS, VISITING: Cape Point, Bakau
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 856. Banjul
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1969
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Crop production (rice), Construction of bridges, dikes and crossways, Labour saving technology, Skills training. Environmental protection and education
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: Upper River Division, North Bank Division, central River Division- North, Lower River Division
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: 1. To facilitate the increase in food production through the development and improvement of infrastructure in swamp rice cultivation thus aiming at food self-sufficiency at village level
2. To construct seed stores and cereal banks for preservation of grains and seeds and to ensure their availability in times of need
3. Remuneration in cash and kind to select communities participating in food work so as to combat the adverse effects of the famine months.
Friends of The Gambia (FOTGA)
Friends of The Gambia (FOTGA)
NGO NUMBER: A92
CONTACT PERSON: Malleh
ADDRESS, VISITING: Near the New
Craft Market, Badala Highway, Kololi, The Gambia
ADDRESS, MAILING: P.M.B. 310
Serrekunda, The Gambia
FAX: None, email is: email@example.com.
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1993
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Education
through a sponsorship scheme, construction of school/clinic/community buildings,
distribution of charitable goods to the needy.
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: The Gambia,
West Africa, Lower River, Central River Division (north & south)
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: To relieve
pain and suffering in The Gambia, To advance the education of the people of The
Gambia, To help communities to help themselves by funding sustainable projects.
Not requested here, but web-site is
FORUT The Gambia
NAME: FORUT The Gambia
NGO NUMBER: 61
CONTACT PERSON: Donald C. Sock, National Director
ADDRESS, VISITING: 50, Garba Jahumpa Road (New Town Road), Bakau
ADDRESS, MAILING: PO Box 2564, Serrekunda
TELEPHONE: 495622 (National Director)
HEADQUARTERS: FORUT Norway, PO Box 300, 2301 Gjovik, Norway
INITIAL OPERATIONS IN COUNTRY: 1990
AREA OF INTERVENTION: Agro-forestry, Water resources, Village Savings and Credit, kills training, Institution building, Hostel service, Campaign against drug and alcohol abuse
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: North Bank Division, Central River Division-North, Upper River Division-North
PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES: To participate in improving the living standard of the poor in our project areas, with emphasis on women and children
2. To assist in youth development in the rural and urban areas.
3. To participate in environmental protection and management
4. To help address alcohol and drugs related issues
5. To facilitate institutional development and capacity building within our project areas
6. To replicate Village Savings and Credit Associations (VISACAs) within our project areas
7. To collaborate with Government and non- governmental organisations.
Return to: Table of Contents